Thursday, February 26, 2009

First Impressions...

Well, I made it! And it was a pretty smooth trip over. Not the flight (which was bumpy in the decent into Tokyo) but all in all, things went off without a hitch.
I managed to pack a years worth of stuff into two checked bags and two carry-ons. I have a request to list off all that I brought so here it goes...
  • 11 t-shirts
  • 19 tops (7 longsleeve, 12 shortleeve/sleeveless)
  • 3 sweatshirts
  • 6 sweaters
  • 6 pairs of pants (3 jeans, 2 khakis, 1 pair of dress pants)
  • 3 pairs of shorts
  • two weeks worth of knickers and socks
  • 3 pairs of shoes and 5 pairs of sandals
  • laptop
  • two books
  • cosmetics/toiletries
  • 3 jackets - 1 winter, 1 spring/fall, 1 rain jacket (for the typhoons!)

I packed a few other things but that is the gist. Sad to say but the snowboard got the axe.

I have to say I've been cold every day that I've been here. Apparently Koreans maintain things at two temperatures, freezing cold or hot as the seventh circle of hell. I prefer the latter since I'm typically cold but with the jet lag that still hasn't subsided (please note that I'm writing this blog at 4am) the warmth also pretty much puts me to sleep.

So, my first days have included going to my school - Kids Club Fun Language School (the title still cracks me up) - and going to sleep. My first day was the kindergarten kids graduation day. Which meant the schedule was not the norm and all the teachers were occupied with getting the kids ready for a big ceremony in front of their parents. Since it's a private school and the parents pay big bucks to have their kids attend, it is important that the show go off without a hitch.

The second day, I was sent to another school (along with my other foreign teacher coworkers) to learn about a new book which will be taught to students in the upcoming year. In the afternoon I observed a few classes. Friday, I get my full list of classes which I'll be teaching starting on Monday. I do know at this point that as far as the morning classes go, I'll be teaching the newest of the new kindergartners. I'm not sure if that is the smartest decision by the school (stick the new girl who knows no Korean whatsoever with the kids who don't know a word of English whatsoever). It will be interesting to say the least.

As for food, I think I've already lost a few pounds. I have yet to be to the grocery store so I'm surviving on a few energy bars I brought and a packet of skittles I have left over from the plane ride. Lunches are provided by the school and then I've gone out to dinner with coworkers the first two nights. I plan to make it to the store this weekend. A lot of the food so far has been prepared with kimchi sauce which is a spicy sauce. I don't hate it but I don't really like it. I did have some Korean barbecue last night that was really really nice. All in all, I've found food I like and food I don't.

So, first impressions - of course I'm totally out of my element so things are a little uncomfortable to say the least. But there are a few pleasant surprises. First, the floors are heated. Apparently, Koreans typically sleep on the floor so it needs to be warm. I like it and so do my toasty tootsies. The subway is incredibly clean and a smooth ride. And my studio is nice - I have a view of the city with the ocean behind it. I've been told over and over that Haeundae (where I live in Busan) is really really nice. Since I haven't seen any other parts of town, I'm taking their word for it. It seems nice to me.

Okay - that is plenty for now. Even though everything is new and exciting, I miss you all very much! Keep in touch!

사랑 (love), Em

No comments:

Post a Comment