Monday, March 2, 2009

Home Sweet Home

So, I moved into my apt about a week ago. I was surprised that it was quite modern and, for the most part, clean. The bathroom still needed another scrubbing in my opinion but otherwise, not too shabby. I'm not good with dimensions but basically you can see by the picture there is one main living space with a bed (hard as a rock), hideous orange chair, desk and closets. Off the main room, is the kitchen and short hall which leads to the bathroom and door to the apt building. The bathroom is a western style bathroom. Which means it's a luxury. Typical Korean bathrooms do not have a separate shower stall. The entire bathroom is tiled and so you shower in the same space you used the sink and toilet. I haven't seen one like this yet but I'll be sure to take a picture when I do so you can have a visual.
According to my contract, my apt was to be furnished. Which should include bed, desk, TV, linens, appliances, utensils, dishes, etc. Well, let's run down the check list, shall we?
  • bed - check!
  • linens - (eh, comforter - yes. Sheets - no) -so, half check.
  • TV - check! (but I'm keeping it in the closet for now)
  • desk - check!
  • chair - check!
  • appliances - ?????? there is a toaster oven and a stove. I guess that is what they mean. (no oven and no microwave) I don't cook so when you take away the microwave, that means I can't even fake cook! - half check.
  • Utensils - three pairs of chop sticks, one spoon. No knives (butter, steak, etc), no forks, no spatulas, no large spoons to stir things on the stove. This only deserves a quarter check.
  • dishes - three plates, one bowl, three mugs. Well, I will give it a full check b/c the basics are covered (barely) but I still need to go out and buy a real glass (drinking OJ and Milk out of a coffee mug actually feels weird!
  • Pots and pans - check!
Anywho, you get the idea. For the most part, things were provided but I still have a bit of shopping to do to make it feel like home. (at least a striped down, save my pennies for travel rather than spoons, skeleton version of home!)

















Okay - hopefully you've got a decent idea of my place. I'll leave you with one last image. Sunrise view from my apt window. I'm on the 18th floor so it's a nice view for sure. The weather has been a bit dreary since I got here but the sun shines right through my window so I have to say I feel pretty lucky right now!
That's all for now - Em

2 comments:

  1. Well, let's try this again!. The place looks nice, although..NO COUCH? Good thing I'm not there, one can't be a proper couch potato without a proper couch!
    Looks good! Hope you can do something about the super hard bed, tho. That's instant backache for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pics. Looks like a cute little place! Hope all is going well there and your students are behaving :-)

    ReplyDelete