Friday, March 20, 2009

Little Yogis

So, last week was show and tell. Although show and tell is a regular activity in America, it is not something Koreans do. Well, the head teacher wanted to add it to our monthly activities and since it is completely new for the kids, the foreign teachers did an example class. So, on Friday, I needed to come up with a show and tell class for my students.
.
In case you haven't read the previous blog, my kids understand minimal to no English. So, if I stood up in front of the class for 35mins talking about some object or where I'm from, the kids would have no idea what is going on. I knew I had to pick some kind of activity. Something the kids could understand just by watching.
.
I picked Yoga!!!! I put together two poster boards with pictures of kids doing different yoga poses and the names... Tree pose, Downward facing dog, upward facing dog, warrior 2, etc. Not to toot my own horn, but it was a huge hit!!!! For about 20minutes I had the kids total attention as we tried different poses and even did a little meditation. Just imagine the tiny little 3/4 year olds sitting on the floor cross legged, hands on their knees, singing OOOOOAAAAAAMMMMM! They would really do it!
.
The older 5/6 year olds loved it even more! And we regularly do it in class now! Sophia will ask for it all the time. "Teacher Teacher, Yoga Yoga!". If the kids are tired or getting board, I just say, "do you want to do a little yoga?" They perk up and are like "yes yes!" Sophia's favorite pose is tree pose (because she has better balance than Troy) and Troy likes the boat pose the best. They both finish the 5minute session by bowing their heads and saying "Namaste" (peace be with you). And then they are more alert, more calm for the remainder of class.
.
Next month, the students will have to share something with the class for show and tell. I'm working on my appeal to the head teacher to let my 3/4 year olds do it in Korean. I can't imagine how they will be able to do it in English????
.
Namaste - Emily

2 comments: