Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fan Death

Hello again. I'm back to share another humorous (yet very serious) issue which, until I traveled to Korea, I was completely unaware of.

****I would like to make a little disclaimer first. I hope you all find my blog humorous and I am by no means making fun of my host country in an arrogant, ugly American way. I hope that you view my blogs as an outsiders commentary on humorous events and situations. Frankly, these blogs are the reason I'm here. To live and learn by experience. I can guarantee that any foreigner in our country can come up with a laundry list of stupid American superstitions or even very serious beliefs that we find completely normal and rational. (although I can't think of any at the moment :)) That being said, let's continue.... *****

FAN DEATH

There is an urban legend in Korea that if a fan is left on too long (especially overnight in a closed room) it can cause serious illness or even death. It is debated on whether the fan has to be actually on or just present in the room. Some have even said that it will suck your soul right out. Scary! Especially since I intend on combating the humid summer nights with my air conditioning and table fan blowing in my face all night long.

So, again, I did a little research (internet research of course!). And low and behold, there is a wikipedia page which verifies that this fear is a legitimate issue in Korea (enough for someone to wiki it at least!).

Another surprise, the South Korean government has an actual position on this issue. Seriously, someone asked the Korean Government to take time away from their hectic agenda which includes figuring out how to increase the value of the won (a topic I have a very vested interest in) to take a position on Fan Death. So, according to the official government position (as reported on wikipedia... yeah, that's right, look it up!)

"The Korea Consumer Protection Board (KCPB), a South Korean government-funded public agency, issued a consumer safety alert in 2006 warning that "asphyxiation from electric fans and air conditioners" was among South Korea's five most common seasonal summer accidents or injuries, according to data they collected.[11] Also included among the five hazards were air conditioner explosions, and sanitation issues, including food poisoning and opportunistic pathogens harbored in air conditioners. According to the KCPB:

"If bodies are exposed to electric fans or air conditioners for too long, it causes bodies to lose water and [causes] hypothermia. If directly in contact with [air current from] a fan, this could lead to death from [the] increase of carbon dioxide saturation concentration and decrease of oxygen concentration. The risks are higher for the elderly and patients with respiratory problems. From 2003 [to] 2005, a total of 20 cases were reported through the CISS involving asphyxiations caused by leaving electric fans and air conditioners on while sleeping. To prevent asphyxiation, timers should be set, wind direction should be rotated and doors should be left open."

I kinda expected the government position to be. "Are you kidding? This is crap. Buy more fans!" Guess I was wrong again. So, the next time you turn on your air conditioner or fan, please remember to put it on a timer. While this tragic event only occurs in Korea apparently (what bad luck!), I have no doubt it will spread like avian bird flu.

take care - Em

2 comments:

  1. Yikes - I sleep with a fan on every night for the white noise. I guess I'm just an accident waiting to happen! =) Keep your posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to me there wouldn't be anyone left in the world.......

    ReplyDelete