So, I'm officially sick. I've got a nasty cold which started about Tuesday of last week. This weekend I just about lost my voice all together and when I can talk, it is extremely raspy and scratchy.
But sick days aren't really an option here. I do have 3 sick days in my contract (for the whole year) but I need a doctors note!!! I mean really, do you want me coming to school spreading my germs. I didn't think so. But in fact, I feel fine in terms of my energy level. It is just the constant runny nose and sore throat that is a bummer.
So, why am I sharing all this loveliness with you? Well, it is because I visited the doctor today and thought you would enjoy the story. I went to school this morning and of course, everyone noticed my horrendously bad voice. I asked my director what doctor I should see since my cold has lasted almost a week and isn't getting better. She suggested two options.
1. Go to the pediatrician which is right next door.
2. Go to a grown up doctor in another area.
The reason she gave me two option is that I don't have my health insurance card yet. So, my doctor's visit won't be subsidized and I'd have to pay the full amount. But once I get my health insurance card, I can go back to the doctor and pharmacy to get a refund for the difference in cost. If I chose option 2, I could borrow a friends insurance card and pretend to be her. (this is my director telling me to impersonate someone else and steal insurance!!! haha!)
What makes this story so ridiculous is that doctors visits and medicine are extremely cheap even without insurance. I chose option 1 being the honest person I am.
My diagnosis: tonsillitis and laryngitis (aka - soar throat and a cold ... duh, now hand over the drugs!)
My drugs: couldn't tell you... but I think there is an antibiotic in there somewhere!
My drugs: couldn't tell you... but I think there is an antibiotic in there somewhere!
Total bill: Doctor's visit 11,900 won. Medicine 6,000 won. In US dollars: $12
yeah, that's right.... $12 dollars! What the hell does it cost with medical insurance? Honestly, I can't even go back for the refund. I would be too embarrassed to ask for a measly $6 or whatever it will come out to be.
Moral of the story, next time you get sick, I think a flight to Korea to receive treatment might be cheaper than getting it in the US (with your medical insurance!)
And the reason this blog is called Grandma's voice is because one of my students today kept saying "Grandmas voice, Grandmas voice" (in Korean of course! God forbid he use the English I'm trying to teach him) all day. Lovely, I sound like this kid's Grandma and frankly, the old women here scare the shit out of me. They are mean little women so I'm probably freaking this kid out!
Wow! The Dr and meds there are almost cheaper than a trip to Chanchal's! Hope the meds work and you feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying the blog...keep 'em coming!